Strawberry Gelato by Giuliano Hazan
Summary: A light, airy strawberry gelato of the Gods, from Giuliano Hazan in “Hazan Family Favorites.”
- 3/4 pound fresh strawberries (I used about 14 ounces, so anywhere from 12-14 ounces would work)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (I used Meyer lemon juice)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Remove the green tops of the strawberries and rinse the berries in cold water.
- Place the berries and sugar in a food processor and blend until puréed. Add the water and lemon juice and continue blending until all the ingredients are mixed together thoroughly.
- Whip the cream with a whisk until it begins to thicken and acquires the consistency of thick buttermilk. Add it to the puréed strawberries and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Serve right away or store, tightly covered, in the freezer.