from Cook's Illustrated
NB: choose a goat cheese with a little stronger flavor than you normally select because baking the cheese seems to lighten its flavor.
Herbed Baked Goat Cheese
3 ounces Melba toasts, white (about 2 cups) (Melba toast was an excellent choice)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
12 ounces goat cheese, firm
extra-virgin olive oil
Vinaigrette and Salad
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I might use part rice-wine vinegar next time)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon minced shallot
1/4 teaspoon table salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used Walnut oil)
1 tablespoon fresh chives (sprinkled on salad greens)
Ground black pepper
14 cups hearty greens (mixed), washed and dried (I used Watercress, but would use Arugula next time)
1. For Goat Cheese: In food processor, process Melba toasts to fine even crumbs, about 1 1/2 minutes; transfer crumbs to medium bowl and stir in pepper. Whisk eggs and mustard in medium bowl until combined. Combine thyme and chives in small bowl.
2. Using kitchen twine or dental floss, divide cheese into 12 evenly sized pieces. Roll each piece into a ball; roll each ball in herbs to coat lightly. Transfer 6 pieces to egg mixture, turn each piece to coat; transfer to Melba crumbs and turn each piece to coat, pressing crumbs into cheese. Flatten each ball into disk about 1 1/2 inches wide and 1 inch thick and set on baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining 6 pieces cheese. Freeze cheese until firm, about 30 minutes. (Cheese may be wrapped tightly in plastic wrap and frozen up to 1 week.) Adjust oven rack to uppermost position; heat to 475 degrees.
3. Remove cheese from freezer and brush tops and sides evenly with olive oil. Bake until crumbs are golden brown and cheese is slightly soft, 7 to 9 minutes (or 9 to 12 minutes if cheese is completely frozen). Using thin metal spatula, transfer cheese to paper towel-lined plate and cool 3 minutes.
4. For Salad: While goat cheese is baking, combine vinegar, mustard, shallot, and salt in small bowl. Whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil; season to taste with pepper.
5. Place greens in large bowl, drizzle vinaigrette over, and toss to coat. Divide greens among individual plates; place 2 rounds goat cheese on each salad. Serve immediately.
Friday, November 25, 2005
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- Quick Homemade Chicken Stock
- Parker House Rolls a la Ruth Schmidt
- Sweet Potato Pie with Crunchy Cranberry Topping
- Roast Crisped-Skin Turkey
- Salad wtih Herbed Baked Goat Cheese and Vinaigrett...
- Thanksgiving 2005
- Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy
- Crab Cakes in Red Sauce
- Salmon in Mirin
- Rack of Lamb
- ▼ November (10)