Saturday, December 02, 2006

Creamed Spinach

A couple of days ago I noticed that fresh spinach had returned to the
markets. I purchased a container of it and made a great creamed
spinach dish. I've tried a lot of different recipes, but find this
very simple one to be the best. It is very fast to whip up and and
elegant looking.

Adapted from Julia & Jacque's book

12 to 16 ounces fresh, washed baby spinach
1/3 to 1/2 cup cream
1 tablespoon butter
big pinch Kosher salt
1/2 cup Ian's Panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Drop the spinach in boiling water and cook for about 4 minutes. (NB:
I don't blanch the spinach but actually cook it; the cooking not only
rids it of any bacteria, but also removes a kind of dry-papery taste
that I dislike. Cooking it in the microwave doesn't seem to do it
either.)

Drain the spinach and press out the water. Cut it up a bit--I cut in
in the strainer with my Fiskar scissors--and place it in a10 inch
saute pan with the butter, salt, and cream. Cook the mixture over
medium heat--it should be boiling pretty good with the cream forming
big bubbles--until the cream has reduced slightly.

Sprinkle the bread crumbs and cheese on the top and place the saute
pan under the broiler and broil until lightly brown--I place it on
the second rung down.

You can make it a little ahead of time; just leave it on the stove--
burner turned off, of course--and place it under the broiler at the
last moment.

2 servings

No comments:

Blog Archive