From Cook's Illustrated July/August 2000
Excellent! When you bite into this silky smooth custard, there is a hidden layer of crunchy corn, and the flavor just explodes in your mouth. I would say this recipe serves at least 12 portions, especially at a time like Thanksgiving when there is so much on your plate. It is very rich. --Pamela
Serves 6 as a side dish
6 ears corn (medium, fresh), husks and silk removed
3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus extra for greasing baking dish
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/3 cups whole milk
4 large eggs , beaten lightly
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Cut kernels from 5 ears of corn into medium bowl, then scrape cobs to collect milk in same bowl (you should have about 2½ cups kernels and milk). Grate remaining ear corn on coarse side of box grater (you should have about ½ cup grated kernels). Add grated kernels to bowl with cut kernels.
2. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position, place roasting pan or large baking dish on rack, and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter 8-inch square baking dish. Bring 2 quarts water to boil in kettle or saucepan.
3. Heat large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add butter; when foaming subsides, add corn kernels and grated corn. Cook, stirring occasionally, until corn is bright yellow and liquid has almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add cream, salt, sugar, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened and spoon leaves a trail when pan bottom is scraped, about 5 minutes. Transfer corn mixture to medium bowl. Stir in milk, then whisk in eggs and cornstarch. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.
4. Set dish in roasting pan or large baking dish on oven rack; fill outer pan with boiling water to reach halfway up inner pan. Bake until center jiggles slightly when shaken and pudding has browned lightly in spots, 20 to 25 minutes. Remove baking dish with pudding from water bath; cool 10 minutes and serve.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- ► 2007 (34)
- Chicken or Turkey Divan
- Roasted Cauliflower
- Quick Green Bean Casserole (Christmas 2006)
- Sichuan Green Beans
- Classic Pound Cake
- Thai-Style Chicken Soup
- Herb-Crusted Pork Roast
- White Chicken Chili
- Mashed Potatoes (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Green Bean Casserole (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Oven-Baked Bread Stuffing with Sage and Thyme (Tha...
- Simple Cranberry Sauce (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Best Pumpkin Pie (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Roast Stuffed Crisped-Skin Turkey (Thanksgiving 20...
- Turkey Giblet Gravy (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Creamy Corn Pudding (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Best American Dinner Rolls (Thanksgiving 2006)
- Meat Identification Site
- Creamed Spinach
- ▼ December (19)
- ► 2005 (134)