Thursday, December 09, 2004

Shallot Butter Sauce

for Pan-seared Steaks

From Cook's Illustrated

Absolutely magnificent; we thought we were in a restaurant!

2 large shallots, minced (about 1/3 cup)
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
salt and pepper

Pan-sear steaks. To same skillet used to cook steaks (do not clean skillet or discard accumlated fat, if any), add shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 1 minute. Turn heat to medium-low; stir in butter, scraping up browned bits on pan bottom with wooden spoon. When butter is just melted, stir in lemon juice and parsley; season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over steaks and serve immediately.

I used my pan cast-iron pan. I cooked the steak (one 1-pound Coleman bone-on rib-eye, about 1 inch thick--I'd much rather cook one bigger, thicker steak than two smaller ones) for about 4 minutes on each side in a smoking hot pan, and then removed it to a platter and let it rest loosely with foil while I prepared the sauce. I also used Pulgra unsalted butter, which, I think, made a difference in this kind of sauce. The finished dish had a lovely aroma of butter and shallots. Jim and I split the steak and the dogs shared the bone. Everyone was satisfied; in fact, we couldn't remember ever having had a better steak. I served the steak with steamed broccoli and oven-fried French fries (recipe posted earlier).

No comments:

Blog Archive