6 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda (check expiration date first)
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons sugar
Combine all of the ingredients in a lidded container. Shake to mix.
Use the mix within 3 months.
2 eggs, separated
2 cups buttermilk
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups "Instant" Pancake Mix, recipe above
1 stick butter, for greasing the pan
2 cups fresh fruit such as blueberries, if desired
Heat an electric griddle or frying pan to 350 degrees F. Heat oven to 200 degrees F.
Whisk together the egg whites and the buttermilk in a small bowl. In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the melted butter.
Combine the buttermilk mixture with the egg yolk mixture in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until thoroughly combined. Pour the liquid ingredients on top of the pancake mix. Using a whisk, mix the batter just enough to bring it together. Don't try to work all the lumps out.
Check to see that the griddle is hot by placing a few drops of water onto to the griddle. The griddle is ready if the water dances across the surface.
Lightly butter the griddle. Wipe off thoroughly with a paper towel. (No butter should be visible.)
Gently ladle the pancake batter onto the griddle and sprinkle on fruit if desired. When bubbles begin to set around the edges of the pancake and the griddle-side of the cake is golden, gently flip the pancakes. Continue to cook 2 to 3 minutes or until the pancake is set.
Serve immediately or remove to a towel-lined baking sheet and cover with a towel. Hold in a warm place for 20 to 30 minutes.
Makes 12 pancakes
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- Seared Yellowfin Tuna over Napa Salad
- Julia Child's Eggs Benedict
- Hasty Pudding with Apricot Sauce
- Chicken Tonnato
- Easy Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Diced Cucumber Salad
- Pot Roast Alert
- Cold Beef Salad a la Parisienne
- Julia's Blanched and Butter Green Beans
- Jacques' French Potato Salad
- Julia's and Jacques' Basic Vinaigrettes
- Joe and Heidi's Bacon Arrabiata Pasta
- Gertrude's Roasted Teal
- Egg and Tomato Gratin
- Hard-Cooked Eggs
- Vegetarian Curries
- Classic Macaroni and Cheese
- Creamy Garlicky Mussels
- Chinatown Steamed and Roasted Duck plus ...
- Standing Rib Roast with Cabernet au Jus
- Frisee Salad with Warm Vinaigrette
- Lamb Chops with Lemon Basil Sauce
- Pamela's Easy 10-minute Lentil Supper
- How to make clear ice cubes at home
- Risotto al Salto
- Easy & Excellent Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Ruth Schmidt's Bread and Rolls
- Ruth Schmidt's Fried Chicken
- Bacon recommendation
- Seafood Packets (aka Salmon in Foil)
- Banana Cream Pie a la PATS
- Bacon, Scallion, and Caramelized Onion Dip
- All-American Potato Salad
- Alton Brown's Fried Chicken
- Alton Brown's Pancakes
- Five-star Pasta with Sautéed Mushrooms
- Shiitake Mushroom Veal
- Pamela's Baklava
- Pamela's Crepes Suzette
- Nadine Kelley's Milk Toast
- ▼ February (40)