From Cook's Illustrated
This was amazingly easy and delicious. --Pamela
Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice
To minimize any loss of water through evaporation, cover the saucepan and use the water as soon as it reaches a boil. An 8-inch ceramic baking dish with a lid may be used instead of the baking dish and foil. To double the recipe, use a 13 by 9-inch baking dish; the baking time need not be increased.
Serves 4 to 6
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice , medium-grain brown rice, or short-grain brown rice
2 1/3 cups water
2 teaspoons unsalted butter or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position; heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread rice in 8-inch-square glass baking dish.
2. Bring water and butter or oil to boil, covered, in medium saucepan over high heat; once boiling, immediately stir in salt and pour water over rice. Cover baking dish tightly with doubled layer of foil. Bake rice 1 hour, until tender.
3. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Fluff rice with dinner fork, then cover dish with clean kitchen towel; let rice stand 5 minutes. Uncover and let rice stand 5 minutes longer; serve immediately.
Cal 180; Fat 3 g; Sat fat 0 g; Chol 0 mg; Carb 36 g; Protein 4 g; Fiber 2 g; Sodium 200 mg
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- Fresh Tomato Soup
- Parmesan Chicken
- Spice-Rubbed Picnic Chicken
- Rich and Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- Teriyaki Chicken with Pickled Cucumbers
- Ice Cold Saketini
- Barbecue Pork with Mop Sauce
- Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Cherries, & Almonds...
- Grand High Tea Menu @ The Grand Lux Cafe
- Spicy Picanha Style BBQ'd Ribeye
- Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli With Oyster Sauce
- Lighter Chicken Parmesan with Simple Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce
- Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice
- ▼ September (14)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)