From Cook's Illustrated
Really an excellent recipe; we loved it. --Pamela
Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli With Oyster Sauce
To make slicing the steak easier, freeze it for 20 minutes. Serve this dish with white rice.
1 pound flank steak , cut into 2-inch-wide strips with the grain, then sliced across the grain into 1/8-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dry sherry
2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
5 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon cornstarch
6 medium cloves garlic , pressed through garlic press or minced (about 2 tablespoons)
1 inch piece fresh ginger , minced (about 1 tablespoon)
3 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
1 1/4 pounds broccoli , florets cut into bite-size pieces, stems trimmed, peeled, and cut on diagonal into 1/8-inch-thick slices
1/3 cup water
1 small red bell pepper , cored, seeded, and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 medium scallions , sliced 1/2-inch thick on diagonal
1. Combine beef and soy sauce in medium bowl; cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 10 minutes or up to 1 hour, stirring once. Meanwhile, whisk sherry, chicken broth, oyster sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and cornstarch in measuring cup. Combine garlic, ginger, and 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil in small bowl.
2. Drain beef and discard liquid. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over high heat until smoking. Add half of beef to skillet and break up clumps; cook, without stirring, for 1 minute, then stir and cook until beef is browned around edges, about 30 seconds. Transfer beef to medium bowl. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil in skillet, and repeat with remaining beef.
3. Add 1 tablespoon peanut oil to now-empty skillet; heat until just smoking. Add broccoli and cook 30 seconds; add water, cover pan, and lower heat to medium. Steam broccoli until tender-crisp, about 2 minutes; transfer to paper towel–lined plate. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons peanut oil to skillet; increase heat to high and heat until just smoking. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until spotty brown, about 1 1/2 minutes. Clear center of skillet; add garlic and ginger to clearing and cook, mashing mixture with spoon, until fragrant, 15 to 20 seconds, then stir mixture into peppers. Return beef and broccoli to skillet and toss to combine. Whisk sauce to recombine, then add to skillet; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened and evenly distributed, about 30 seconds. Transfer to serving platter, sprinkle with scallions, and serve.
STEP BY STEP: How to Stir Fry
1. Prep Ingredients: Marinate protein (meat, seafood, or chicken). Whisk sauce ingredients in measuring cup. Add small amount of oil to garlic and ginger.
2. Batch-cook Protein: Heat oil until smoking. Drain protein and add half to pan.Cook until well browned. Remove to clean bowl. Repeat with remaining protein.
3. Steam tough vegetables: Stir-fry broccoli, asparagus, or green beans in oil in empty pan, add small amount of water, cover, and steam until crisp-tender.
4. Cook delicate vegetables: Transfer steamed vegetables to bowl; then stir-fry peppers or onions for 1 to 2 minutes in oil in empty pan.
5. Sauté aromatics: When vegetables are browned, add garlic and ginger to center of pan. Cook until fragrant (15 to 20 seconds), then stir into vegetables.
6. Recombine and sauce: Add protein and steamed vegetables back to skillet. Whisk sauce to recombine, then pour into skillet and toss until hot.
Saturday, September 01, 2007
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- Fresh Tomato Soup
- Parmesan Chicken
- Spice-Rubbed Picnic Chicken
- Rich and Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- Teriyaki Chicken with Pickled Cucumbers
- Ice Cold Saketini
- Barbecue Pork with Mop Sauce
- Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Cherries, & Almonds...
- Grand High Tea Menu @ The Grand Lux Cafe
- Spicy Picanha Style BBQ'd Ribeye
- Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli With Oyster Sauce
- Lighter Chicken Parmesan with Simple Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce
- Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice
- ▼ September (14)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)