1/4 cup olive oil
2 large yellow onions, diced
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
18 ripe Roma tomatoes, quartered
Heavy cream or 1/2 & 1/2
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh basil leaves, if desired
Using a heavy saucepan set over medium heat, sauté onions in olive oil, stirring occasionally until tender and translucent, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Stir in orange zest and tomatoes and continue to cook over medium heat stirring occasionally to prevent scorching, about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes have broken down and rendered much of their liquid.
Strain the mixture through a food mill or medium mesh sieve placed over a clean saucepan, discard remaining peel and seeds. Reheat soup mixture gently over medium-low heat, season with salt and pepper. Add heavy or light cream to taste (anywhere from 1/2 cup to 1 1/2 cups or until you achieve the consistency and flavor you desire.) Season to taste.
Just before serving (about 1-2 minutes before) add fresh basil, torn into small pieces to the soup.
Serves 4 to 6.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- Fresh Tomato Soup
- Parmesan Chicken
- Spice-Rubbed Picnic Chicken
- Rich and Creamy Blue Cheese Dressing
- Teriyaki Chicken with Pickled Cucumbers
- Ice Cold Saketini
- Barbecue Pork with Mop Sauce
- Spinach Salad with Gorgonzola, Cherries, & Almonds...
- Grand High Tea Menu @ The Grand Lux Cafe
- Spicy Picanha Style BBQ'd Ribeye
- Stir-Fried Beef and Broccoli With Oyster Sauce
- Lighter Chicken Parmesan with Simple Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce
- Foolproof Oven-Baked Brown Rice
- ▼ September (14)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)