Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Welsh Rabbit

from Kevin Sullivan

Betty Crocker's Cookbook (5 ring binder edition "New & Revised edition, LCN 78-52003") pg 120:

1/4 cup margarine or butter (I have always used butter)
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard (I usually use a "spicy brown" mustard that has seeds in it)
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup milk
1/2 cup beer or medium white wine* (I prefer beer, a dark beer from a large bottle so there in plenty left over to dispose of...)
2 cups of shredded Cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces), (I always use a sharp cheddar.)
4-6 slices of toast (I usually use a good sourdough English muffin instead.)

Heat margarine/butter in saucepan over low heat until melted. Blend in flour, salt, petter, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Cool over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is smooth and bubbly; remove from heat. stir in milk. Heat to boiling stirring constantly. Boil about 1 minute. Add beer gradually. Stir in cheese. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese is milted. Serve over toast. Sprinkle with paprika if desired.
4 to 6 servings.
*Beer or wine can be omitted; increase milk to 1.5 cups.

What I actually do though is I also steam broccoli and put the cheese sauce on the broccoli too. Instead of just putting the cheese sauce on toast, I put the cheese sauce on some pan fried ham which is on a good tomato slice or two and that on top of a toasted sourdough muffin...

No comments:

Blog Archive