6 T. butter
3/4 C. chopped leeks, white parts only
3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large fennel bulb, stalk cut off and bulb halved, cored and chopped
3 1/2 T. flour
1 1/2 C. half and half
1 1/2 C. chicken or turkey stock
1/2 C. grated imported Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/4 t. cayenne pepper
3/8 t. freshly grated nutmeg
2 C. cooked 1/2-inch cubed turkey
1 1/2 C. wild rice
1 C. long-grain rice
1/3 C. chopped flat-leaf parsley
Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat. When hot, add leeks, carrots, parsnips and fennel and cook, stirring, until softened, about 15 minutes. Season vegetables generously with salt. Remove vegetables from pan and set aside.
Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in same pan over medium heat until hot, then add flour and stir constantly for 1 minute. Do not let flour brown. Lower heat if necessary. Pour in half and half and stock and whisk constantly until mixture thickens and coats back of spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, cayenne and nutmeg.
Return vegetables to sauce along with turkey. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. You may need more salt depending on whether stock was salted or not. (Creamed turkey and vegetables can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cool, cover and refrigerate. Reheat, preferably in large, shallow skillet, stirring, over low heat.)
Cook each rice separately according to package directions. Drain and toss together, seasoning with salt as needed (see Note).
To serve, ladle mound of rice on each of 6 dinner plates. Stir half of the parsley into creamed turkey mixture, then ladle sauce over rice. Sprinkle each serving with some of the remaining parsley. Makes 6 servings.
Note: If you buy wild rice in bulk and do not have cooking directions, cook in the following way: Add the 1 1/2 cups wild rice to 3 quarts boiling salted water and cook 30 to 35 minutes. Rice will double in size and still should be somewhat crunchy when done. Remove and drain in a strainer.
Friday, November 21, 2008
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Fresh Ginger
- Turkey Spring Rolls with Quick Peanut Dipping Sauc...
- Sprouted Wheat Parker House Rolls
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Gravy
- Breakfast Sausage
- Oven-roasted Turkey Breast with Leeks and Cornbrea...
- Emeril's Ruben Sandwiches with Russian Dressing
- Creamy Coleslaw
- The Rachel Sandwich
- Day-After Turkey Soup
- Apricot-and-Cheddar Chicken Melt
- Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze...
- Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
- Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cranberry Glazed Breast of Turkey
- Grilled Portobellos Filled with Wild Rice-Almond P...
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and So...
- Creamed Turkey and Fall Vegetables Over Wild Rice ...
- Chinese Turkey Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Chopped Truffles and Walnut Dre...
- Turkey Waldorf Salad
- Chicken or Turkey Divan à la Locke-Ober
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Feast
- Beef Rosettes with Duxelles and Green Peppercorns
- How to Cook and Clean Dungeness Crab
- Petits Pois à la Francaise
- 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears
- Salmon Croquettes
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Farmstand Corn Fritters
- Barbecued Beef Brisket For a Charcoal Grill
- Autumn Panzanella
- Sweet Broccoli Salad
- Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
- Barack Obama Pizza Burger
- Pressure Cooker Buffalo Hot Wings
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Veal Short Ribs in an Osso Buco Style
- Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
- Cranberry Pomegranate Terrine
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Chicken Packet
- Pressure Cooker Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
- Italian Herb Blend
- Simmered Chinese Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Chicken with Duck Sauce
- Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar
- Pressure Cooker Lamb and White Bean Stew
- Macaroni and 4 Cheeses
- Pressure Cooker Veal Stew
- Spinach and Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
- ▼ November (53)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)