Friday, November 28, 2008
From Cook's Illustrated
Excellent recipe; the gravy was exceptional! --PKS
Instead of drumsticks and thighs, you may use 2 whole leg quarters, 1 1/2 to 2 pounds each. The recipe will also work with turkey breast alone; in step 2, reduce the butter to 1 1/2 tablespoons, the salt to 1 1/2 teaspoons, and the pepper to 1 teaspoon. If you are roasting kosher or self-basting turkey parts, season the turkey with only 1 1/2 teaspoons salt.
3 medium onions , chopped medium
3 medium celery ribs , chopped medium
2 medium carrots , peeled and chopped medium
5 sprigs fresh thyme
5 medium garlic cloves , peeled and halved
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 whole bone-in, skin-on turkey breast (5 to 7 pounds), trimmed of excess fat and patted dry with paper towels (see note)
4 pounds turkey drumsticks and thighs, trimmed of excess fat and patted dry with paper towels (see note)
3 tablespoons unsalted butter , melted
1 tablespoon table salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
2 bay leaves
Table salt and ground black pepper
1. For the Turkey: Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 275 degrees. Arrange onions, celery, carrots, thyme, and garlic in even layer on rimmed baking sheet. Pour broth into baking sheet. Place wire rack on top of vegetables (rack will rest on vegetables, not on bottom of baking sheet).
2. Brush turkey pieces on all sides with melted butter. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over turkey. Place breast skin-side down and drumsticks and thighs skin-side up on rack on vegetable-filled baking sheet, leaving at least 1/4 inch between pieces.
3. Roast turkey pieces 1 hour. Using wads of paper towels, turn turkey breast skin-side up. Continue roasting until instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in thickest part of breast and 170 to 175 degrees in thickest part of thighs, 1 to 2 hours longer. Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer rack with turkey to second baking sheet. Allow pieces to rest at least 30 minutes or up to 1 1/2 hours.
4. For the Gravy: Strain vegetables and liquid from baking sheet through colander set in large bowl. Press solids with back of spatula to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard vegetables. Transfer liquid in bowl to 4-cup liquid measuring cup. Add chicken broth to measuring cup (you should have about 3 cups liquid).
5. In medium saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat; when foaming subsides, add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour is dark golden brown and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Whisk in broth mixture and bay leaves and gradually bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until gravy is thick and reduced to 2 cups, 15 to 20 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Remove gravy from heat and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Keep gravy warm.
6. To Serve: Heat oven to 500 degrees. Place baking sheet with turkey in oven. Roast until skin is golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet from oven, transfer turkey to cutting board, and let rest 20 minutes. Carve and serve, passing warm gravy separately.
Serves 10 to 12.
Posted by pks at 12:57 PM
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Fresh Ginger
- Turkey Spring Rolls with Quick Peanut Dipping Sauc...
- Sprouted Wheat Parker House Rolls
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Gravy
- Breakfast Sausage
- Oven-roasted Turkey Breast with Leeks and Cornbrea...
- Emeril's Ruben Sandwiches with Russian Dressing
- Creamy Coleslaw
- The Rachel Sandwich
- Day-After Turkey Soup
- Apricot-and-Cheddar Chicken Melt
- Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze...
- Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
- Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cranberry Glazed Breast of Turkey
- Grilled Portobellos Filled with Wild Rice-Almond P...
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and So...
- Creamed Turkey and Fall Vegetables Over Wild Rice ...
- Chinese Turkey Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Chopped Truffles and Walnut Dre...
- Turkey Waldorf Salad
- Chicken or Turkey Divan à la Locke-Ober
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Feast
- Beef Rosettes with Duxelles and Green Peppercorns
- How to Cook and Clean Dungeness Crab
- Petits Pois à la Francaise
- 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears
- Salmon Croquettes
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Farmstand Corn Fritters
- Barbecued Beef Brisket For a Charcoal Grill
- Autumn Panzanella
- Sweet Broccoli Salad
- Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
- Barack Obama Pizza Burger
- Pressure Cooker Buffalo Hot Wings
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Veal Short Ribs in an Osso Buco Style
- Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
- Cranberry Pomegranate Terrine
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Chicken Packet
- Pressure Cooker Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
- Italian Herb Blend
- Simmered Chinese Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Chicken with Duck Sauce
- Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar
- Pressure Cooker Lamb and White Bean Stew
- Macaroni and 4 Cheeses
- Pressure Cooker Veal Stew
- Spinach and Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
- ▼ November (53)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)