from Emeril Lagasse
2 pounds quality corned beef, very thinly sliced
12 slices Jewish-rye or marble-rye bread
1 recipe Emeril's Russian Dressing, recipe follows
12 ounces sauerkraut
12 slices good quality Swiss cheese
1 quart store-bought cole slaw, divided
4 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
6 kosher dill pickles, halved or quartered if large
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the corned beef in a shallow baking dish and drizzle with a little water. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Lay the bread slices on a clean work surface and spread 1 side of each slice with some of the Russian dressing. Layer 1/2 of the slices with some of the corned beef. Divide the sauerkraut evenly over the meat, then top the sauerkraut with the slices of cheese and cole slaw. Place the remaining bread slices on top, dressing sides down, and set aside.
Heat 2 heavy large skillets over medium heat. When hot, brush 1 side of each sandwich with some of the butter and place in the hot pans, buttered sides down, and cook until crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes. Spread the unbuttered, top sides of the sandwiches with the remaining butter and turn the sandwiches to cook on the second side until golden brown, crispy, and the cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes longer. Transfer the sandwiches to a cutting board and cut in half on the diagonal, then serve immediately, with remaining cole slaw and a kosher dill pickle, for garnish.
Makes 6 large sandwiches.
1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup chili sauce
1 tablespoon minced yellow onion
1 tablespoon minced dill pickle
1 tablespoon minced celery
1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon sugar
In a bowl, combine all ingredients except salt and whisk until well-blended. Add salt to taste, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Fresh Ginger
- Turkey Spring Rolls with Quick Peanut Dipping Sauc...
- Sprouted Wheat Parker House Rolls
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Gravy
- Breakfast Sausage
- Oven-roasted Turkey Breast with Leeks and Cornbrea...
- Emeril's Ruben Sandwiches with Russian Dressing
- Creamy Coleslaw
- The Rachel Sandwich
- Day-After Turkey Soup
- Apricot-and-Cheddar Chicken Melt
- Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze...
- Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
- Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cranberry Glazed Breast of Turkey
- Grilled Portobellos Filled with Wild Rice-Almond P...
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and So...
- Creamed Turkey and Fall Vegetables Over Wild Rice ...
- Chinese Turkey Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Chopped Truffles and Walnut Dre...
- Turkey Waldorf Salad
- Chicken or Turkey Divan à la Locke-Ober
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Feast
- Beef Rosettes with Duxelles and Green Peppercorns
- How to Cook and Clean Dungeness Crab
- Petits Pois à la Francaise
- 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears
- Salmon Croquettes
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Farmstand Corn Fritters
- Barbecued Beef Brisket For a Charcoal Grill
- Autumn Panzanella
- Sweet Broccoli Salad
- Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
- Barack Obama Pizza Burger
- Pressure Cooker Buffalo Hot Wings
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Veal Short Ribs in an Osso Buco Style
- Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
- Cranberry Pomegranate Terrine
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Chicken Packet
- Pressure Cooker Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
- Italian Herb Blend
- Simmered Chinese Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Chicken with Duck Sauce
- Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar
- Pressure Cooker Lamb and White Bean Stew
- Macaroni and 4 Cheeses
- Pressure Cooker Veal Stew
- Spinach and Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
- ▼ November (53)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)