Look for bahn trang, the thin, round Vietnamese rice paper wrappers used to make spring rolls, in the ethnic foods section of most large supermarkets. If you can’t find them but still feel like a yummy peanut sauce, make an Asian-style noodle salad by tossing the ingredients below (with the cilantro chopped) with half a pound of cooked whole wheat pasta (or half a package of soba or rice noodles, if you have them).
If you use unsalted peanut butter, you may need to add salt to the peanut sauce.
2 cups shredded leftover turkey
1 small green cabbage (about the size of a softball), finely shredded
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
8 sprigs fresh cilantro
1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts, roughly chopped
1/2 cup crunchy natural peanut butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup very warm water, plus more for softening bahn trang
2 teaspoons sriracha (Thai chili-garlic sauce) or Chinese chili paste
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons low-sodium rice wine vinegar
8 bahn trang (plus a few more, in case some rip while you’re folding)
Arrange the turkey, cabbage, carrots, cilantro, and chopped peanuts on a large plate.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk the peanut butter, 1/2 cup warm water, sriracha, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar until smooth, and set aside.
Fill a large, shallow bowl with very warm water. Dip a clean, smooth tea towel in the water, wring dry, and place flat on a clean work surface.
Working with one rice wrapper at a time, dip half of it into the water, and turn it like you’re driving a car in circles, around and around in the same direction. When you feel the wrapper begin to soften between your fingers (but before it begins to fold over on itself all willy-nilly), transfer the wrapper to the towel. Place a sprig of cilantro horizontally on the wrapper about a third of the wrapper away from the edge of the wrapper nearest you. Top the cilantro with little handfuls of cabbage, carrots, and turkey, in layers, and sprinkle with a few chopped peanuts. Starting with the side closest to you, wrap the spring roll up like a burrito, tucking the sides in halfway through rolling. Transfer the roll to a serving plate, and repeat with the remaining ingredients.
Serve rolls whole or cut in half, with the peanut sauce, for dipping.
Makes 8 Spring Rolls.
Friday, November 28, 2008
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Fresh Ginger
- Turkey Spring Rolls with Quick Peanut Dipping Sauc...
- Sprouted Wheat Parker House Rolls
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Gravy
- Breakfast Sausage
- Oven-roasted Turkey Breast with Leeks and Cornbrea...
- Emeril's Ruben Sandwiches with Russian Dressing
- Creamy Coleslaw
- The Rachel Sandwich
- Day-After Turkey Soup
- Apricot-and-Cheddar Chicken Melt
- Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze...
- Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
- Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cranberry Glazed Breast of Turkey
- Grilled Portobellos Filled with Wild Rice-Almond P...
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and So...
- Creamed Turkey and Fall Vegetables Over Wild Rice ...
- Chinese Turkey Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Chopped Truffles and Walnut Dre...
- Turkey Waldorf Salad
- Chicken or Turkey Divan à la Locke-Ober
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Feast
- Beef Rosettes with Duxelles and Green Peppercorns
- How to Cook and Clean Dungeness Crab
- Petits Pois à la Francaise
- 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears
- Salmon Croquettes
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Farmstand Corn Fritters
- Barbecued Beef Brisket For a Charcoal Grill
- Autumn Panzanella
- Sweet Broccoli Salad
- Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
- Barack Obama Pizza Burger
- Pressure Cooker Buffalo Hot Wings
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Veal Short Ribs in an Osso Buco Style
- Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
- Cranberry Pomegranate Terrine
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Chicken Packet
- Pressure Cooker Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
- Italian Herb Blend
- Simmered Chinese Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Chicken with Duck Sauce
- Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar
- Pressure Cooker Lamb and White Bean Stew
- Macaroni and 4 Cheeses
- Pressure Cooker Veal Stew
- Spinach and Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
- ▼ November (53)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)