Looks like a good recipe. --PKS
6 bone-in veal short ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
¼ cup finely diced carrot
¼ cup finely diced onion
¼ cup finely diced celery
4 garlic cloves
1 cup white wine
1 cup low sodium organic chicken stock
1 sprig rosemary
2 sprigs fresh thyme
4 sprigs Italian parsley
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons drained and diced sun-dried tomatoes in oil
salt and pepper
Pat ribs dry and season with salt. Warm oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add ribs and sear on each side. Remove ribs and drain briefly on paper towels. Transfer ribs to your slow cooker. Turn slow cooker on and set to high.
Return saute pan to stove and reduce heat to medium. Add more olive oil if needed. Add carrots, celery, onions, and whole garlic cloves to saute pan. Season lightly with salt. Saute until the veggies start to become tender and begin to brown slightly. Add white wine to pan and crank heat up to high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high and reduce slightly. Pour veggies and wine into slow cooker.
Add chicken stock to slow cooker. The liquid should come up about ¾ of the side of the ribs. If it’s short, add water. Tie rosemary, thyme, and parsley together with kitchen twine. Toss into liquid. Add bay leaf.
Cover and cook on high for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook another 4 hours. Check the meat. You want it very tender, starting to fall off the bone.
Remove ribs to a plate and tent loosely with foil. Strain cooking liquid into a fat-separating pitcher, allow fat to rise, and pour liquid off into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third. Add tomatoes.
For two good eaters.
Serve the ribs with horseradish mashed potatoes and green beans. Pour some of the sauce over the ribs right before serving. Top with some finely chopped Italian parsley and lemon zest.
Pour a Brunello di Montalcino (a red Italian wine like a Sangiovese) with some age on it.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- Cranberry Sauce with Pears and Fresh Ginger
- Turkey Spring Rolls with Quick Peanut Dipping Sauc...
- Sprouted Wheat Parker House Rolls
- Slow-roasted Turkey with Gravy
- Breakfast Sausage
- Oven-roasted Turkey Breast with Leeks and Cornbrea...
- Emeril's Ruben Sandwiches with Russian Dressing
- Creamy Coleslaw
- The Rachel Sandwich
- Day-After Turkey Soup
- Apricot-and-Cheddar Chicken Melt
- Grilled Turkey with Pomegranate-Black Pepper Glaze...
- Turkey Pot Pie with Sage Crust
- Herb-Roasted Turkey Breast
- Cranberry Glazed Breast of Turkey
- Grilled Portobellos Filled with Wild Rice-Almond P...
- Brined Turkey Breast with Spanish Spice Rub and So...
- Creamed Turkey and Fall Vegetables Over Wild Rice ...
- Chinese Turkey Salad
- Waldorf Salad with Chopped Truffles and Walnut Dre...
- Turkey Waldorf Salad
- Chicken or Turkey Divan à la Locke-Ober
- Pressure Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Feast
- Beef Rosettes with Duxelles and Green Peppercorns
- How to Cook and Clean Dungeness Crab
- Petits Pois à la Francaise
- 100% Sprouted Wheat Bread
- Roasted Pork Tenderloin with Pears
- Salmon Croquettes
- Southern Cornbread Dressed-Up Chicken
- Farmstand Corn Fritters
- Barbecued Beef Brisket For a Charcoal Grill
- Autumn Panzanella
- Sweet Broccoli Salad
- Linguine with Shrimp and Lemon Oil
- Barack Obama Pizza Burger
- Pressure Cooker Buffalo Hot Wings
- Philadelphia Cheese Steak Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Veal Short Ribs in an Osso Buco Style
- Emeril's Ruby Red Rocket Cocktail
- Cranberry Pomegranate Terrine
- Pressure Cooker Parmesan Chicken Packet
- Pressure Cooker Five-Minute Tomato Sauce
- Italian Herb Blend
- Simmered Chinese Chicken
- Pressure Cooker Chicken with Duck Sauce
- Baked Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar
- Pressure Cooker Lamb and White Bean Stew
- Macaroni and 4 Cheeses
- Pressure Cooker Veal Stew
- Spinach and Rice Soup
- Pressure Cooker Risotto
- Wisconsin Native's Beer Cheese Soup
- ▼ November (53)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- ► 2005 (134)