Alberta has these four recipes, all using SAVORY MEAT SAUCE, hand-written on a large, very old piece of paper. She also has the same recipes typed on cards. SAVORY MEAT SAUCE is the common thread for each of the recipes.
Be sure to read my comments about how I prepared the lasagna.
SAVORY MEAT SAUCE
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
2 medium sized onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 pounds ground beef
3 #2 cans tomatoes (7 cups)--this is equivalent to 2 large (28-ounce) cans
2 6-ounce cans tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/1/2 tablespoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried basil
There are no instructions for the cooking of this sauce. I assume from the order of the ingredients that it would be something like this:
In a pot, saute onion and garlic in oil until lightly browned. Add ground beef and brown. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 1/2 hours.
The recipe appears to make enough for 1 batch of LASAGNE, a double batch of JIFFY CHILI CON CARNE, and 1 recipe of STUFFED CABBAGE BUNDLES.
Perhaps, Alberta thought this recipe was an easy way to prepare three separate dishes.
1 pound lasagne noodles, 1 1/2 inches wide
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
5 cups SAVORY MEAT SAUCE
2 cups (1 pound) cream-style cottage cheese
2 8-ounce packages mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Lightly oil 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish.
Slide lasagna noodle strips without breaking into a large pot half filled with boiling water to which vegetable oil has been added (to keep noodles from sticking).
Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until almost tender. Drain and cool with cold water.
Line the bottom of the baking dish with a single layer of drained lasagne strips, spoon over about 1/4 of the SAVORY MEAT SAUCE and cottage cheese, top with 1/4 of the mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Repeat to make 4 layers, ending with cheese topping.
Bake in a moderate (350 degree) oven for 30 minutes or until hot.
JIFFY CHILI CON CARNE
2 1/2 cups SAVORY MEAT SAUCE
2 cans (about 1 pound each) baked red kidney beans
2 teaspoons chili powder
Combine ingredients and simmer about 20 minutes.
STUFFED CABBAGE BUNDLES
1 large head cabbage
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup (1/4 pound) grated sharp American cheese
1 egg slightly beaten
1 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups SAVORY MEAT SAUCE
Cut out core of cabbage, peel off and discard imperfect leaves. Remove 8 large leaves, one at a time.
Steam cabbage in 1/2 inch boiling salted water in a large saucepan for 5 minutes.
Combine rice, cheese, egg, parsley, salt and worcestershire sauce in a medium bowl.
Melt butter in a small frying pan. Add onions and saute 3 minutes. Add to rice-cheese mixture.
Spoon stuffing into center of cabbage leaves, dividing evenly. Fold leaves up and over and fasten with metal skewers or wooden picks.
Place cabbage bundles in a 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking dish and pour SAVORY MEAT SAUCE over.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- Nadine Kelley's Princess Potatoes (Christmas 2006)...
- Nadine Kelley's Barbecued Beef on Buns
- Pamela's Meat Loaf
- Nadine Kelley's New England Clam Chowder
- Alberta's Savory Meat Sauce ....
- Pamela's London Broil
- Alberta's Steamed Chocolate Pudding
- Alberta's Fried Prawns
- Alberta's Potato Salad
- Aunt Claire's Sugar Cookies
- Alberta's Whipped Cream Banana Cake
- Alberta's Mock Crab Salad
- Alberta's Petrale Sole
- Nadine Kelley's Creamed Tuna in Toast Cups
- Nadine Kelley's Porcupine Balls
- Alberta's Fishermen's Grotto Chef's Special Salad ...
- Nadine Kelley's Brown Rice
- Alberta's Oven-fried Chicken
- Pamela's Fettucine
- Alberta's Lamb Shanks with Herbs
- Nadine Kelley's String-bean Casserole
- Alberta's Broiled Zucchini and Squash with Cheese
- Nadine Kelley's Santa Maria Beans
- Gertrude Rigg's Spareribs
- Maxine Kelley's Chile Beans
- Gertrude Riggs' Zucchini
- Nadine Kelley's Fried Carrots
- Nadine Kelley's Crab Meat Dip
- Alberta's Roast Beef
- Maxine Kelley's Roquefort Dressing
- Nancy Syneider's Rollup Pancakes
- Alberta's Veal Stew
- Nadine Kelley's Enchiladas
- Nadine Kelley's Graham Crackers and Goo
- Alberta's Gimlets
- Marty Schmidt's Spaghetti Sauce
- Cornflake-crusted Baked Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Alberta's Lazy Daisy Cake
- Homemade Pasta
- Green Bean Succotash
- Alberta's Buttercream Icing
- Alberta's Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- Fruit Cocktail Cookies
- 100 year-old Scotch Raisin Cookies
- Fruit Cocktail Cookies
- Oatmeal Cake
- Potato Bake
- Fresh Apple Cake
- Elsie's Cheese Bits
- Alton Brown's Who Loves Ya Baby-Back? (Ribs)
- Wilted Spinach Salad with Bacon
- Chicken Soup for the Soul
- Creamy Bacon Dip
- Alton Brown's City Ham
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- Honey Game Hens
- Turkey gravy
- Alton Brown's Better Than Grannie's Creamed Corn
- Alton Brown's Tart Cranberry Dipping Sauce
- Thanksgiving Turkey
- Marinated Salmon Seared in a Pepper Crust
- Potato and Wild Mushroom Napoleons (New Year's Eve...
- Melon and Prosciutto
- Spareribs with Secret Chinese BBQ Sauce
- My First Dinner Party
- Essential Oriental Ingredients
- Southeast Asian-Style Spring Rolls With Shrimp
- Tandoori Chicken
- Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Onion Bread
- Chicken in Milk (from Jaime Oliver)
- ▼ January (72)