We tried this one Easter and thought the result was terrific.
1 city style (brined) ham, hock end*
1/4 cup brown mustard
2 cups dark brown sugar
1-ounce bourbon (poured into a spritz bottle)
2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies
Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly. Place ham, cut side down, in a roasting pan. Using a small paring knife or clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut. (If you're using a paring knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of fat). Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than 2-inches across. Once you've made it all the way around, move the knife to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise. The aim is to create a diamond pattern all over the ham. (Don't worry too much about precision here.)
Tent the ham with heavy duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F.
Remove and use tongs to pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.
Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard, using either a basting brush or a clean paint brush (clean as in never-touched paint). Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go until the ham is coated. Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can.
Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the oven (uncovered). Cook until interior temperature reaches 140 degrees F, approximately 1 hour.
Let the roast rest for 1/2 hour before carving.
*Cook's note: A city ham is basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices".
- ► 2013 (26)
- ► 2012 (45)
- ► 2011 (34)
- ► 2009 (73)
- ► 2008 (90)
- ► 2007 (34)
- ► 2006 (64)
- Nadine Kelley's Princess Potatoes (Christmas 2006)...
- Nadine Kelley's Barbecued Beef on Buns
- Pamela's Meat Loaf
- Nadine Kelley's New England Clam Chowder
- Alberta's Savory Meat Sauce ....
- Pamela's London Broil
- Alberta's Steamed Chocolate Pudding
- Alberta's Fried Prawns
- Alberta's Potato Salad
- Aunt Claire's Sugar Cookies
- Alberta's Whipped Cream Banana Cake
- Alberta's Mock Crab Salad
- Alberta's Petrale Sole
- Nadine Kelley's Creamed Tuna in Toast Cups
- Nadine Kelley's Porcupine Balls
- Alberta's Fishermen's Grotto Chef's Special Salad ...
- Nadine Kelley's Brown Rice
- Alberta's Oven-fried Chicken
- Pamela's Fettucine
- Alberta's Lamb Shanks with Herbs
- Nadine Kelley's String-bean Casserole
- Alberta's Broiled Zucchini and Squash with Cheese
- Nadine Kelley's Santa Maria Beans
- Gertrude Rigg's Spareribs
- Maxine Kelley's Chile Beans
- Gertrude Riggs' Zucchini
- Nadine Kelley's Fried Carrots
- Nadine Kelley's Crab Meat Dip
- Alberta's Roast Beef
- Maxine Kelley's Roquefort Dressing
- Nancy Syneider's Rollup Pancakes
- Alberta's Veal Stew
- Nadine Kelley's Enchiladas
- Nadine Kelley's Graham Crackers and Goo
- Alberta's Gimlets
- Marty Schmidt's Spaghetti Sauce
- Cornflake-crusted Baked Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Alberta's Lazy Daisy Cake
- Homemade Pasta
- Green Bean Succotash
- Alberta's Buttercream Icing
- Alberta's Buttermilk Chocolate Cake
- Fruit Cocktail Cookies
- 100 year-old Scotch Raisin Cookies
- Fruit Cocktail Cookies
- Oatmeal Cake
- Potato Bake
- Fresh Apple Cake
- Elsie's Cheese Bits
- Alton Brown's Who Loves Ya Baby-Back? (Ribs)
- Wilted Spinach Salad with Bacon
- Chicken Soup for the Soul
- Creamy Bacon Dip
- Alton Brown's City Ham
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
- Honey Game Hens
- Turkey gravy
- Alton Brown's Better Than Grannie's Creamed Corn
- Alton Brown's Tart Cranberry Dipping Sauce
- Thanksgiving Turkey
- Marinated Salmon Seared in a Pepper Crust
- Potato and Wild Mushroom Napoleons (New Year's Eve...
- Melon and Prosciutto
- Spareribs with Secret Chinese BBQ Sauce
- My First Dinner Party
- Essential Oriental Ingredients
- Southeast Asian-Style Spring Rolls With Shrimp
- Tandoori Chicken
- Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts
- Onion Bread
- Chicken in Milk (from Jaime Oliver)
- ▼ January (72)